August 15, 2010

{recipe} Sun-Dried Tomato Salad

Weekly Test Recipes: Week 29!


My sister made this salad for a picnic last summer.  I went back for seconds and it was all gone!  I decided to try making it myself this week.

SUN-DRIED TOMATO SALAD (Pioneer Woman)

1 jar (7 oz.) sun-dried tomatoes
4 cloves garlic (next time, I'll use 3)
3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 c. extra-virgin olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste
16 oz. rotini pasta
1 pt. ripe cherry tomatoes, halved
1 jar kalamata or assorted olives, chopped (I bought a mixture of Kalamata, black, and green)
10 leaves basil, chopped or julienned
1 1/2 c. Parmesan cheese, freshly grated

For the dressing:
In a blender combine sundried tomatoes, garlic, salt, pepper, and vinegar until tomatoes are chopped. Continue blending while drizzling in olive oil until mixed together. Can make the night before so flavors blend together.

To make the salad:
Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water until no longer hot. Pour 2/3 of the dressing over the pasta. Add remaining ingredients, tossing together and adding more dressing until the salad is coated to your liking. Serve cold.

I liked this salad, but my fiance did not.  The garlic was a little to intense for him.  Next time I will use 3 cloves garlic instead of 4.  I will also use just green and black olives next time. Also, this makes a HUGE amount.  So unless you're bringing it to a pot luck or have a big family, a half recipe should suffice. 


Rating: GOOD

No comments:

Post a Comment