August 9, 2010

{recipe} Smoothie with a Twist

Weekly Test Recipes - Week 26! (The year is half over - GASP!)

I've fallen away from my smoothie addiction in recent weeks.  But this week we had an abundance of fresh fruit in the fridge and needed to get rid of some of the strawberries before they went bad.  On a whim, I decided to throw in some extras and use up some veggies in the fridge as well.  Similar to V8 fruit juice.  It was so good and I couldn't even taste the veggies.

SMOOTHIE WITH A TWIST* (one serving)
6 oz. yogurt of choice (I used strawberry banana this time, but usually use vanilla. Peach is good too. Any kind really!)

splash of orange juice
splash of lemon juice
1 ripe banana, sliced (freeze it first to add thickness)
handful fresh strawberries (I used 6 medium ones)
3-4 chunks fresh pineapple
*5 baby carrots (gasp, I know!)
1 Tbsp. flax seed  (optional)

Place yogurt and juices in blender and blend until mixed.  Add other ingredients a little at a time, blending between additions, until mixed.  Serve immediately. (I ended up adding a few ice cubes to this smoothie to add thickness.  If you use frozen fruit, ice won't be necessary.)  I've heard of adding spinach to smoothies as well, and have such a recipe bookmarked to try in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment