August 8, 2010

{recipe} Shrimp and Broccoli Pasta

Weekly Test Recipes - Week 24!

I loved the simplicity of this recipe when I came across it.  Something new for me that came with this recipe was peeling/deveining shrimp.  More on that later.

SHRIMP AND BROCCOLI PASTA (allrecipes.com)
2 cups uncooked bow tie pasta

1/4 cup chopped onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon butter or stick margarine
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups fresh broccoli florets
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 ounces uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Cook pasta according to package directions. In a large nonstick skillet, saute onion and garlic in butter and oil until tender. Add broccoli and salt; cook and stir over medium-high heat for 8 minutes. Add shrimp; cook and stir 2-3 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink and broccoli is tender. Drain pasta; transfer to a serving bowl. Add the broccoli mixture; toss gently. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

I didn't know the proper way to peel and devein shrimp, so a quick internet search led me to this helpful site: Peel and Devein Shrimp  Let me tell you, this is a very unpleasant job, and really turned me off from the idea of ever doing this again.  From now on, I'm only buying pre-peeled and de-pooped shrimp.  Overall, the receipe was a MEH rating, and I'll probably never make it again.  It was quite dry and needs some sort of sauce to add.  Maybe some chicken broth or something just to add a little more moisture and pull all the ingredients together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment