August 28, 2010

{recipe} Carrot Cake

Weekly Test Recipes - week 30!



My co-worker has been requesting I make a carrot cake for months now.  She was taking a 3-week trip to visit her family in Colombia, so I decided to bring in a carrot cake for her last day before the trip.  I've never made a carrot cake, so I didn't have a recipe for one, but came across a yummy-sounding recipe from Pioneer Woman.

CARROT CAKE (Pioneer Woman)

2 c. sugar
1 c. vegetable oil
4 eggs
2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 c. grated carrots

Mix together the sugar, oil and eggs in a large bowl. In another bowl sift together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. Add to first mixture and combine. Add carrots and mix well. Pour into a greased and floured pan and bake at 350* until done, 25 (sheet cake) to 50 (Bundt pan) minutes, depending on the pan you use.  Cool completely.

Icing:

1/4 c. butter, softened
4 oz. cream cheese
1/2 lb. powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. pecans, chopped finely

In larger bowl, cream butter and cream cheese. Add sugar and vanilla and blend, then mix in the nuts. Spread on cooled carrot cake. *This is a half-recipe from what's posted on the PW website.  I just thought frosting using an entire pound of powdered sugar would be waaaaaay too much frosting.  To be honest, I made my carrot cake in a 9x13 pan, and this half-recipe of frosting was still waaaay too much.  But yummy!  I looooove me some cream cheese frosting.

Rating: EXCELLENT, next time make with less frosting.

Sorry for the poor picture...I forgot to take one until the cake was almost gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment