August 9, 2010

{recipe} Pound Cake

Weekly Test Recipes - Week 27!


A couple months ago, my sister Laura sent out a post asking if any of us had Mom's pound cake recipe.  Between us we figured out which recipe was the right one, and a challenge was put forth - make the pound cake and post your results!  I haven't brought any treats into work lately because there aren't many summer birthdays, and strawberries were on sale so I decided to make the Pound Cake!

MOM'S POUND CAKE
1 cup butter
1 2/3 cup sugar
5 eggs
1/2 tsp flavoring (vanilla, almond)
2 cup flour
heavy whipping cream (whip in bowl with a shake of sugar and a splash of vanilla until thick)
fresh sliced strawberries

Work butter until creamy; beat in sugar and eggs, one at a time. When creamy, fold in flour with spoon. Spread in buttered and floured loaf pan. Bake 1 1/2 hours at 300 degrees.  Serve topped with whipped cream and strawberries.

Pros: yummy yummy yummy goodness.
Cons: baking something in the oven for 1.5 hours on a 90* day
Pros: yummy yummy goodness

Worth it! I knew this recipe was EXCELLENT, but I've never tried making it myself, and haven't had Mom's pound cake for a few years.  The first taste was so refreshing and familiar and brought me back to my parents' house on the farm back in MN :)

1 comment: