March 20, 2010

{recipe} Creamy Shrimp Penne

Test Recipes Week 7!  (From this point on, I have remembered to take pictures of each test recipe.  Woot!)

Pasta.  Probably my all-time favorite food.  Shrimp.  One of my favorite forms of seafood.  This pasta has BOTH.  Plus a creamy tomato sauce.  YUM.  It's from Pioneer Woman.  I changed the name because Penne a la Betsy has no meaning to anyone other than PW.  I can do that.  It's my blog.


CREAMY SHRIMP PENNE (Pioneer Woman)

¾ pounds penne pasta
1 pound cooked, peeled, and deveined shrimp
2 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 small onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ c. white wine or chicken broth
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
1 cup heavy cream
1 Tbsp. each fresh basil and parsley, chopped
Salt and Pepper to taste

Cook the pasta until al dente.  Pull tails off thawed shrimp, rinse, and cut into bite-sized pieces.  Set aside.  In a large skillet heat butter and olive oil. Add the garlic and onion and sauté, stirring occasionally. Once garlic and onions are tender, add white wine or broth. Let the wine evaporate for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add tomato sauce and stir until well combined. Add heavy cream and continue stirring. Turn heat down to low and let simmer.  Stir shrimp and pasta into tomato cream sauce.  Add parsley, basil, and salt and pepper to taste.

I thought this recipe was SUPER yummy!  I rated it EXCELLENT and will definitely be making it again.  It made a huge amount though, which was just too much for one person, and it didn't reheat very well (microwaved shrimp - meh).  So next time I'll probably just make a half recipe.  I'm not the biggest fan of Penne either, it's a lot of pasta.  I'd be tempted to substitute linguine or egg noodles next time.  And this would probably be just as good with chicken instead of shrimp.  Try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment