March 27, 2010

{recipe} Chicken Spaghetti

Test Recipes Week 9!


Back home in Minnesota, a meal like this would be called a HOTDISH, never a casserole.  Most hotdishes follow the same basic principle:

* meat (chicken or ground beef, or even turkey on occasion)
* creamy soup or tomato sauce base
* pasta or potatoes (my all-time favorite is still Tator Tot Hotdish!)
* may or may not include veggies
* bake 350* until yummy

Mix and match any combination of the above, and BOOM - hotdish!  Here's the latest HOTDISH I came across:

CHICKEN SPAGHETTI (Pioneer Woman)
**disclaimer** These are the proportions posted by PW.  I made HALF a recipe, and it still filled a normal-sized casserole dish.

2 c. cooked chicken
3 c. dry spaghetti, broken into 2" pieces
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
2 c. grated sharp Cheddar cheese
1/4 c. chopped green pepper
1/4 c. finely diced onion
4 oz. diced pimentos, drained
2 c. chicken broth
1 tsp. seasoned salt
1/8 to 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
salt and pepper, to taste
1 c. additional grated sharp Cheddar cheese

Cook spaghetti according to package directions (until al dente).  Do not overcook. When spaghetti is cooked, combine with remaining ingredients except additional 1 cup sharp cheddar.  Place mixture in casserole pan and top with remaining sharp cheddar. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes until bubbly. (If the cheese on top starts to get too cooked, cover with foil - mine got a little overcooked before I caught it).


YUM YUM YUM!  I did things a little differently than PW (natch...).  I used canned chicken instead of a chicken fryer.  I also added much more green pepper than called for (probably double).  Next time, I will use half the cheese.  As mentioned above, I made a half recipe (since I'm only cooking for myself) and it still filled a casserole dish.  Sadly, my refrigerator went out the day after I made this and all the leftovers of this HOTDISH were lost during the ordeal.  I will definitely be making again.  EXCELLENT!

No comments:

Post a Comment