March 7, 2010

{recipe} Creamy Chicken and Pasta Bake

Test Recipes week 3!

I got this recipe in the Kraft Food and Family magazine.  Once again, I didn't think to take pictures of the results :(  Next time.

CREAMY CHICKEN AND PASTA BAKE (Kraft Food and Family)

1 ½ c. multi-grain rotini pasta
3 c. broccoli florets
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped
½ c. fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 oz. Neufchatel cheese, cubed
1 c. shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
2 Tbsp. grated parmesan cheese

Cook pasta, adding broccoli for the last 3 min. Meanwhile, heat large nonstick skillet on medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 3 min. or until no longer pink, stirring frequently. Stir in broth; simmer 3 min. or until chicken is done. Add Neufchatel cheese; cook and stir on low heat 1 min. or until melted. Stir in ½ c. mozzarella. Drain pasta and broccoli. Add to chicken mixture; mix lightly. Spoon into 8-inch square baking dish; cover. Bake in 375* oven for 15 min. or until heated through. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses. Bake, uncovered, 3 min. or until melted. Let stand 5 min.

4 servings (1 ½ c.)

I thought this recipe was good, but could have been better.  I bet if I used real cream cheese instead of the healthier Neufchatel it would have a little more flavor, or if I used full-flavor, full-sodium, full-bad-for-you chicken broth.  And I'm still getting used to the flavor and texture of whole-grain pasta as opposed to regular.  Overall, this recipe is going in the keeper pile.  I rated it GOOD.

No comments:

Post a Comment