September 22, 2010

{recipe} Pasta ala Vodka

Weekly Test Recipes - week 37!

I'm camera-less the next couple weeks, so bear with my grainy phone pictures...
I'm back to pasta :)  This recipe is from Pioneer Woman.

PASTA ALA VODKA (Pioneer Woman)

1 lb. pasta (I used bowtie - half plain/half whole wheat)
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. butter
1 medium onion, minced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 c. vodka
14 oz. tomato puree
1 c. heavy cream, or can substitute milk
Pinch red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp. salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 c. Parmesan cheese

Cook pasta according to directions, just to al dente.  While pasta is cooking, head olive oil and butter over medium heat in large skillet.  Add onion and garlic and stir until tender.  Add vodka and cook/stir for a few minutes.  Add tomato puree and stir.  Reduce heat to low and stir in cream.  Simmer, and add red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.  Drain pasta and add to sauce; stir to combine.  Add Parmesan cheese and serve, garnished with more cheese.

This was a very easy dish to make.  I thought it was good, but thought it was just slightly tart (I'm not sure if that's the right word to use).  Maybe it was the vodka, or maybe it had too much of a pure tomato flavor for my taste.  I don't know, but it wasn't what I imagined it would be.  It was good, but I sprinkled Italian seasoning and garlic powder on my plate and stirred it, and I liked it with those additions much better.  So I may make this again, but with those additions for more flavor.



Rating: GOOD

No comments:

Post a Comment