September 9, 2010

{recipe} Homemade Tortilla Chips

Weekly Test Recipes - week 35!

I'm going to give full disclosure in this post....I failed at making this recipe two times before it turned out.  It's probably one of the easiest recipes I've tried in a long time, and I burned it twice. 

I came across this blog post about making your own tortilla chips, and decided it would be my test recipe for this week.

Followed the directions exactly, and this is what I ended up with when I took them out of the oven to flip over.....
Apparently broiling for 5 minutes on ONE side is much too long....the recipe calls to broil 5 minutes on EACH side.

I tried another pan BAKING at 450*...

After 5 minutes....too done and I hadn't flipped yet! At least some in the middle of the pan are salvageable.  I imagine my oven cooks very quickly.  Also, I should probably try cooking them on the BOTTOM rack of the oven instead of in the middle where I had these.

Another pan baking at 350*. Five minutes on each side was perfect!

Here's the recipe that turned out the most successful:

HOMEMADE TORTILLA CHIPS (TwoPeas&TheirPod)

1 package small tortillas (I used whole wheat, original recipe called for white corn.  I will try white corn next time.)
Olive oil or olive oil cooking spray
Kosher salt to taste

Cut tortillas into triangles and arrange on greased baking sheet.  Spray or brush with oil and sprinkle with salt.  Turn and repeat.  Bake in 350* oven for 5 minutes, take out and flip over, and bake 5 more minutes.  Remove from oven and cool before enjoying with favorite salsa. 

Next time I make them, I'm going to try white corn tortillas, and I'm going to try splitting the tortilla layers apart (imagine a bagel) before cutting into triangles.  These were tasty, but just a little to think for my taste.  I think if I split the layers apart, it might be a little better.  These are definitely a nice change from grocery store tortilla chips once in a while.  Stay tuned for an update!

Rating: GOOD (with potential)

Here's my salsa recipe if you want it!

No comments:

Post a Comment