April 24, 2010

{recipe} Snickerdoodles

Test Recipes Week 16! (the finale)

Here's the last of the recipes I tested out this week.  Maybe it's because the other three recipes were actually pretty healthy, but for some reason I got a craving to bake some cookies mid-week.  All the ingredients for these cookies were in my kitchen, so I decided on Snickerdoodles. 


SNICKERDOODLES (SmittenKitchen)

2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature (I only had salted, so I left out the additional salt in the recipe)
1 3/4 cups sugar, divided
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
2 large eggs

Sift together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In mixing bowl, combine butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy.  Add eggs, and mix to combine. Mix in dry ingredients until combined.  Chill for 30-60 minutes.  In a small bowl, combine remaining 1/4 cup sugar with the cinnamon. Use cookie scoop, or large soup spoons to make balls of the dough (I rolled the dough between my hands), and then roll in cinnamon sugar until completely covered. Place about two inches apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake at 400* until the cookies are set in center and begin to crack (they will not brown), about 10 minutes, rotating the baking sheets after five minutes. Let cool on cookie sheets about five minutes before transferring to a wire rack.  Makes approximately 3 dozen.

I had never even tasted Snickerdoodles until a couple of years ago, and had never attempted to make them myself.  After tasting these, especially immediately after they cooled, they are now near the top of my favorite cookies list :)  Soooo easy to make, and the simplicity of the taste makes it really enjoyable to eat.  Rated EXCELLENT!  Go ahead, eat 3 or 4!  (They were also a hit at work!)

1 comment:

  1. These look good! I will have to try them. I don't know if I've ever had snickerdoodles. Maybe in home-ec class...

    ReplyDelete