April 15, 2010

{recipe} Texas-Style Egg Rolls

Test Recipes Week 15!

I like to check allrecipes.com daily just to see the photos of the day. I have bookmarked sooo many recipes just from doing that. The most recent bookmarked recipe being Southwestern Egg Rolls. I think it was the yummy-looking picture/mostly healthy ingredients that drew me to check it out. I'm going to go ahead and say this recipe was adapted from allrecipes because I actually changed it quite a bit - a few ingredient changes, baked not fried, proportions doubled, and a name change ;) Below is the recipe as I made it:

TEXAS-STYLE EGG ROLLS (adapted from allrecipes.com)

2 Tbsp. canola oil
1 can (12.5 oz.) canned chicken (can also use chx breast or grocery store rotisserie)
1/4 cup minced green onion
generous 1/4 cup minced red bell pepper
2/3 cup frozen corn kernels
1/2 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained (I used fresh - steamed, cooled, and drained)
1/4 cup diced green chiles
1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
2 pinches ground cayenne pepper
1 cup shredded Pepper Jack cheese
12 egg roll wrappers

Next time, I am going to use jalapenos instead of the chiles because I wish these were a little more 'pica' (spicy).

Doesn't that look YUMMY?!

Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in green onion and red pepper. Cook and stir 5 minutes until tender. Dice chicken and mix into the pan with onion and red pepper. Mix in corn, black beans, spinach, chiles, cilantro, cumin, chili powder, salt and cayenne pepper. Cook and stir 5 minutes, until well blended and tender. Remove from heat and stir in cheese so that it melts. Spoon even amounts of the mixture onto each egg roll. Roll tightly around mixture (*see below*). Arrange on cookie/pizza sheet and bake 350* for 10 minutes; turn over and bake 10 more minutes.

 How to Roll an Egg Roll
(based on a quick internet search...please comment if you know better)

place filling in bottom half

dampen all edges with water and roll bottom corner tightly around filling

fold in sides

and roll the rest of the way up!

after first 10 minutes, before flipping

Look at the yumminess!!

These are definitely rated EXCELLENT!  I would rate them double-excellent if I could :)  This would also be yummy with Margaritas!  Based on some of the recipe comments, I decided to serve with this dipping sauce. So glad I did!

CILANTRO LIME CREAM SAUCE (allrecipes.com)

8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon sour cream
1 (7 ounce) can tomatillo salsa (I used leftover diced green chiles from the egg rolls)
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon celery salt (I skipped this b/c I didn't have any, and it still tasted great)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice

Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth and creamy. Place in a serving bowl. Makes 2 cups. I made 1/4 of the above recipe and it was twice as much as I needed for a dozen Texas-Style Egg Rolls. The website says this makes a great dip or can be used as a sauce for chicken/fish. This one's going in the favorites file!  It definitely earns an EXCELLENT rating.

not very healthy, but dang good

No comments:

Post a Comment