October 7, 2010

{recipe} Milky Way Cake

Weekly Test Recipes - week 38!

We had another office party a couple weeks ago, and I never posted the recipe I tested - Milky Way Cake. The fiance helped me pick out the recipe, and he didn't even get to try any because it was gone before I came home! It was super easy to make because it has a box mix as the base.

MILKY WAY CAKE (You'veGotSupper.com)

10 oz. Milky Way candy bars, divided
1 pkg. yellow cake mix with pudding
10 Tbsp butter, divided
3 eggs
1 Tbsp flour

Preheat oven to 325 degrees and spray 9x13 pan with flour. Melt 5 ounces of chopped milky ways with 2 Tbsp of water in a sauce pan over medium-low until smooth. Set aside. Beat cake mix, 1 cup water, 8 tbsp melted butter, and eggs until thick and well combined (2 - 3 minutes). Add 1/2 of the batter to the bundt pan. Add the other half of the cake batter to the milky way mixture. Add 1 Tbsp flour and stir. Pour on top of the batter in the pan. Swirl with a knife to create a marbled effect. Bake for 45 minutes or until done. Let cool and then turn upside down on wire rack. For the glaze, melt the remaining milky way bars with 2 Tbsp butter and 2 Tbsp water in the saucepan until smooth. Let cool for 10 minutes. Place cake on a platter. Spoon glaze over top so it drips down the sides. Let sit for 5 - 10 minutes and serve.

This cake got rave reviews at the office. I thought it was just meh. Maybe it was the box cake mix. The glaze was my favorite part, but I didn't think there was enough of it. Next time I would double the glaze recipe. The original recipe said to use a bundt pan, but I don't have one, so I used a regular 9x13. Next time I think I'll use two rounds and make a layered cake, so the glaze can drip down the sides like the recipe says to.

Rating: GOOD

No comments:

Post a Comment